On May 2, 1852, Green Spring Church of God was officially organized. The congregation built a small brick church on the south side of today’s Route 641, east of Newburg and had an adjoining cemetery. In the early days it was often called the Irishtown Church of God.

A new and much larger edifice located on the south side of route 641 near the original church was dedicated January 14, 1965. Its present name is Green Spring First Church of God. At its current location, the church has a large All Purpose Building, complete with a full service kitchen, basketball court, restrooms, and additional classrooms. A large pavilion is located beside the church ball field and playground. The pavilion is fully facilitated with electrical receptacles, lighting, and restrooms.